Discuss and Reflect
Use the class forum below to discuss the issues raised in Module 1, particularly...
M1: Unit 2 - 21st Century Skills
- How do you think you can start introducing PBL as an approach for teaching and learning across the curriculum?
- Describe the current practice of PBL at your school.
- What other skills does PBL reinforce in the context of the South African CAPS curriculum?
M1: Unit 3 - Benefits of PBL
- Identify three benefits of PBL that would improve your subject, class and even school.
M1: Unit 4 - PBL and the CAPS Curriculum
- Why do you think that in the CAPS vision it is emphasized that South Africa should be free of violence, discrimination and prejudice?
- What are the goals of the curriculum framework of South Africa?
- How can PBL be used as a strategy to address CAPS paradigm/philosophy?
- Look at a topic you have recently taught and consider possible ways in which PBL might be helpful to develop the envisioned CAPS.
M1: Unit 5 - PBL and Teachers' Role
- How prevalent is 'Implicit Instruction' in your school?
- Do you think it is important to get support and buy-in from students, colleagues and parents before embarking on a PBL approach?
- What information would you discuss with students, colleagues and parents when introducing this innovative approach to learning?
- What section of the CAPS curriculum would lend itself to this approach?
- What are some benefits of having students solve real life problems using solutions of their own design?