Could Blended and/or Bichronous online learning work at MGSLG?

Could Blended and/or Bichronous online learning work at MGSLG?

Number of replies: 21

So, what approach, blended or bichronous, could offer some advantages for the future delivery of MGSLG courses, and your course in particular? Provide some thoughts (both pro and con) for the use of technology for course delivery. Use the forum below to discuss. Make sure you post at least once and reply to colleagues at least twice.

In reply to First post

Re: Could Blended and/or Bichronous online learning work at MGSLG?

by Wilma Isaacs -
The SSIP programme will favour a bichronous delivery mode as many teachers still need engagements with the facilitators and their peers. Many teachers still need to get to grips with certain aspects of the content and would rely on the facilitator. The benefit of this mode will assist us in monitoring the teachers' interaction with content. The pre- and post test on the system will report on their performance.
The downside of this model teachers can click on content and not sure of whether they really interacted with the material.
In reply to Wilma Isaacs

by Andrew Moore -
Yes. That is a downside. Hence, we need to construct activities where the participants demonstrate they have achieved a skill or used knowledge gleaned from a reading.
In reply to Andrew Moore

by Wilma Isaacs -

Yes, Andrew, this is where our teachers demonstrate their skills through practical online activities. 

In reply to Andrew Moore

by Andriena Malgas -
I like the Blended or the Hybrid model where you can have between 30-79% of content delivered online and the rest is blend in as face to face on any platform.
In reply to Andriena Malgas

by Andrew Moore -
I'm in agreement that face-to-face is 1st prize. Our problem is we waste that time when we have it as we spend the majority of that time lecturing, instead of encouraging higher order thinking skills.
In reply to Wilma Isaacs

by Eugene Nzula -
I am also in favor of bichronous delivery as we are dealing with teachers here. They do need the interaction at some point and all the suggestions below around PLCs are on point and can be done in all my programmes. I also like the monitoring capabilities these modes present to us.
In reply to Eugene Nzula

by Andrew Moore -
Ideally you want blended and bichronous in your course, but this is not always possible. What is clear is that the future courses will need to be thought out carefully according to what are your course objectives.
In reply to Wilma Isaacs

by Roxanne Reddhi -
I could not agree more ,Wilma. One has to also consider the fact that not all educators have the skills to access online platforms and interact with them independently, hence the bichronous approach is quite apt as it incorporates both the human element(which we all require in order to have direction and attain the set goals and outcomes of the programme with the assistance and guidance of the facilitator) and the self-regulated learning process.
In reply to First post

by Victor Ngobeni -
Most Leadership programme could benefit from bichronous delivery, given the fact that we have been getting a lot of feedback from SMT's indicating how they struggle to concentrate during training due to the day-to-day challenges of having to manage schools during Covid. Often they are distracted during training, so you do not always have their full attention. Setting up certain tasks to be completed when they are less busy could be a win-win for both of us. Having said, there are a number of programmes that require onsite interventions and I do not see how these could be achieved without engaging on a face-to-face level.
In reply to Victor Ngobeni

by Andrew Moore -
I think you have hit the nail on the head. Face-to-face meetings are really first prize but the reality is that we can't always find the time in our busy schedules to do this. Maybe we should use both blended and bichronous? However, this would require time to think carefully how best to do this.

by Wilma Isaacs -

Victor,

You are on point there that bichronous mode of learning will be more beneficial, not only for Leadership programmes, as well as Teacher Development. In this that teachers can engage with content anywhere anytime. 

How we can get around the issue of face to face support, is to set up PLCs on this platform, where best practices can be shared. This 

In reply to Wilma Isaacs

by Victor Ngobeni -
Yes, Wilma I agree with the idea of PLC's. In fact, the more we talk about this, the more I am convinced that even those programmes that we often think they cannot be achieved using virtual means, e.g. High-Risk schools targeted interventions, they actually can be achieved. This is actually one of those "trust/relationship building" programmes where the human element is most important. Principals want to see you, they want to speak to you and tell you what issues they are going through, etc. As a "problem-solver" this is where you may want to give the principal a "pat on the back", and tell him/her things will be alright! But, as Andrew said, the environment dictates otherwise. So, I agree, we have to think about virtual solutions.

by Lungile Kunene -
I definitely agree with the bichronous online learning especially for most of our Leadership programmes. SMT's are usually engaged in other activities during the course of the day. So by having the option of going to revisit the training /course material at a later stage in their own time here they will get to through the information thoroughly as opposed to just attending a face-to -face session merely to tick a box and not take anything away from the session.
In reply to Lungile Kunene

by Andrew Moore -
Yes. That make sense. Adult learning is often about juggling responsibilities and rarely do we have the luxury of full time 'study'.

by Roxanne Reddhi -

I agree, Victor. The approach will obviously differ per programme though. 

In reply to First post

by Linki Tsiane -
For most School Governing Body (SGB) programmes, a blended approach would be better.At a certain point you need to meet the SGB members face-fo-face as some cannot use gadget. As for a programme like school Financial management, we can use both the blended and bichronous approaches. A lot of participants in the Finance committees are on a high literacy level and both approaches can be used.

The advantages of the use of technology is that you can reach a lot of people at the same time and in our case it is cheaper. You can use few facilitators for a large number of participants. We save a lot on catering and facilitation fees.

The disadvantage is that in terms of active participation, there is limitations. Unless the numbers are the same as in a face-to-face session, the participation is limited. In the case of SGB members feedback is through the feedback forms only. Activities are also limited as most participants may not be good at using ICT gadgets
In reply to First post

by Roxanne Reddhi -
In my opinion and considering the nature of the programmes I envision being responsible for in the future, I would definitely promote the use of the bichronous approach. My only concern is how notional hours spent on learning and activities would be logged. I assume I would have to go the route of a manual log of hours but this could be inaccurate if not automatically tracked. I am a strong believer in the value of human interaction and COP's when it comes to learning and hence see the dire need for a facilitator to start off the process and provide direction and guidance whilst laying the foundation for learning. The trainees could thereafter interact with readings on the online platform and complete their PoE's online as well as they interact with the content. I also like the idea of the break away rooms for group discussions and all of this combined would act to enhance the quality of learning and assist in the productive achievement of the intended goals.
In reply to First post

by Jonathan Kekana -
Blended learning will work for the constituency of School Governance because the SGBs have a diverse educational background, from those who cannot read and write to professionals. RCLs also come from schools that have and are using the latest technology for teaching and learning to farm and other disadvantaged schools with minimal infrastructure.
In reply to First post

by Handson Mlotshwa -
I think cloud blended approach will be suitable for teacher development considering that teachers have limited time to attend to professional development including contact sessions that are at times planned for after school. however , the main limitation of the online facilitation in the blend is the availability of ICT resources and connectivity.
In reply to Handson Mlotshwa

by Nonhlanhla Tryphinah Rathina -
Good initiative for teachers and I agree Bichronous online learning is a professional development that equip the skills of teachers ,especially the old school educators.